Michael C. Sigmon
Board Certified Specialist in Workers' Compensation Law
Born: Raleigh, North Carolina
Education: North Carolina State University, cum laude (B.A., 1983); University of North Carolina School of Law (J.D., 1986)
Bar Admissions: North Carolina, 1986; U.S. District Court, Eastern District of North Carolina, 1986
Practice Areas: Workers' Compensation; General Civil Practice; DRC Certified Mediator Superior Court. Mediator: N.C. Industrial Commission claims
Professional and Civic Association: N. C. State Bar; N.C. Bar Association; Tenth Judicial District; N.C. Department of Insurance, Certified Instructor; Legislative Advisory Board, Capital Associated Industries, Inc. (Past Board Member); Board of Directors, North Carolina State University Club, Inc. 2006-2013; N.C. Bar Association Workers' Compensation Council Member 2012-2016; Super Lawyers 2009-2017
- Bowen v. Weathington, No. 883SC324 (N.C. Ct. App. Feb 21, 1989).
Issue: Enforceability of real estate brokerage contract and tortious interference with brokerage contract.
- Tucker v. City of Clinton, 120 N.C.App. 776, 463 S.E.2d 806 (1994).
Issue: Competent evidence standard and acknowledgement of illegitimate child.
- Creel v. Town of Dover, 126 N.C.App. 547, 486 S.E.2d 478 (1997).
Issue: Intoxication defense, NCGS 97-12; personal deviation.
- Terry v. Home Lumber Co., 133 N.C.App. 349, 521 S.E.2d 150 (1999).
Issue: Competency of the evidence.
- Cuff v. Pelican Bldg., 133 N.C.App. 189, 520 S.E.2d 609 (1999).
Issue: Compentency of the evidence.
- Saunders v. Edenton Ob/Gyn Center, 352 N.C. 136, 530 S.E.2d 62 (2000).
Issue: Presumption of continuing disability not established by terms of Industrial Commission Form 21 agreement.
- Lewis v. Sonoco Products Co., 137 N.C.App. 61, 526 S.E.2d 671 (2000).
Issue: Form 28T termination and questionable return to work.
- Dancy v. Abbott Laboratories, 139 N.C.App. 553, 534 S.E.2d 601 (2000).
Issue: Presumption of continuing disability not established by terms of Industrial Commission Form 26 agreement.
- Harris v. Town of Atlantic Beach, 136 N.C.App. 847, 531 S.E.2d 904 (2000).
Issue: Competency of the evidence; appellate procedure.
- Knight v. Abbott Laboratories, 144 N.C.App. 448, 548 S.E.2d 581 (2001) (Knight I).
Issue: No injury by accident where workplace dispute was commonplace; Industrial Commission required to address all issues in controversy.
- Landry v. U.S. Airways, Inc., 356 N.C. 419, 571 S.E.2d 586 (2002).
Issue: No injury by accident where object heavier than anticipated.
- Foster v. U.S. Airways, Inc., 149 N.C.App. 913, 563 S.E.2d 235 (2002).
Issue: Presumption of disability; suitability of work.
- Knight v. Abbott Laboratories, 160 N.C.App. 542, 586 S.E.2d 544 (2003) (Knight II).
Issue: Occupational disease.
- Smith v. First Choice Services, 158 N.C.App. 244, 580 S.E.2d 743 (2003).
Issue: Jurisdiction where contractural exclusion of corporate officer from insurance coverage.
- Adams v. M.A. Hanna Co., 166 N.C.App. 619, 603 S.E.2d 402 (2004).
Issue: Industrial Commisison's violation of established rule and statute.
- Knight v. Abbott Laboratories, 628 S.E.2d 258, 2006 WL 997740 (April 18, 2006)(No. COA05-1061)(Knight III).
Issue: Employer's right to attorney's fees for frivolous appeal.
Telephone: (919) 481-9103